For two days in May, a group of 17 high school students plus three adults from Grand Rapids, Michigan visited Ridgway and volunteered with the Uncompahgre Watershed Partnership. The delegation from West Michigan Academy of Environmental Science worked with Ridgway Town Manager Jen Coates and Ouray County Weed Manager Ron Mabry to plan volunteer activities that would benefit locations in our watershed.
Geologist Bob Larson, a former UWP board member, presented a slide presentation about the geology and mining history of the area to the group, and the visit ended with an ice cream party.
Top of the Pines activities:
– Planted seedling trees for a day at Top of the Pines with Mabry
Cottonwood and Rollans Parks activities:
– Picked up trash along the creek in Cottonwood and in Rollans Park
– Picked up sticks from mowing areas in Cottonwood and Rollans Parks
– Re-caged the trees in Cottonwood 6 to 8 inches off the ground. Removed the fencing from mature deciduous trees.
– Stained the two picnic tables, two benches, and the foot bridges in Cottonwood.
– Trimmed willows from pathway in Rollans Park
– Resurfaced the walking path in Rollans Park (moved several tons of sand/gravel)
Thank you to Dave Jones for these photos.